Forks aren’t the only amazing thing on the surface world, Ariel. The next time you miss your friends under the sea, try whipping up some of these Clam-Shell Madelines. Just make sure your eggs come from chickens and not fish or else you’ll end up with a try of incredibly confusing caviar biscuits.
Ariel’s Clam-Shell Madelines
by Sarah Wright
2 tsp blackberry or black currant juice (this adds that nice purple Ariel shell color)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup melted butter
icing sugar for dusting.
1. Whisk the heck out of the eggs. This is one of those old-fashioned recipes where all the fluffy comes from the eggs and not from baking powder.
2. Add the sugar and juice. Continue to whisk like crazy (use an electric mixer if you want) I can’t emphasize how important whisking is. when this step is done the batter will be glue-like in thickness and the sugar will be completely dissolved.
3. Whisk in flour.
4. Melt the butter and let it cool so it won’t cook your eggs.Then whisk it in.
5. Use a silicone mold OR butter and flour the pan.
6. Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes
7. Let them cool then pop them out of the pan, dust them with sugar and try desperately not to eat them all by yourself.